May 14, 2015

The Teacher

I can't wait to teach you how to walk, how to balance and put one foot in front of the other.
I can't wait to teach you to talk, to use your words to change the world.
I can't wait to teach you how to eat, to clean up the spills and watch you grow.
I can't wait to teach you how to run, so that you can get to where you are going faster.

I can't wait to learn how to be quick, to be there to catch you when you stumble. 
I can't wait to learn how to be patient, while I guess at what you mean before you talk.
I can't wait to learn what you like to eat, so that I don't have to clean up thrown food.
I can't wait to learn to get there before you, so I can' see you when you arrive.

I can't wait to teach you to play soccer, so that no matter where you travel you'll fit in.
I can't wait to teach you to read, so that you can have knowledge and power.
I can't wait to teach you to choose, so that you can know right from wrong.
I can't wait to teach you to be honest, to be true and just.

I can't wait to learn how to cheer, so that I can watch you score goals.
I can't wait to learn about the world, in the books that we will share together. 
I can't wait to learn right from wrong, so that I can know what's best for you.
I can't wait to learn what's true, so that I will know when truth is spoken.

I can't wait to teach you how to be a gentleman, to open doors for others.
I can't wait to teach you to cook, so that you don't have to depend on others.
I can't wait to teach you how to play, so that you don't get caught up in the world.
I can't wait to teach you to live, so that you have something to wake up for.

I can't wait to learn again what it's like to be a gentleman, to be the example.
I can't wait to learn new recipes, to grow my taste in food.
I can't wait to learn new games, because I'm never to old to play.
I can't wait to learn what life is, so that I know what's worth waking up for.

I can't wait to be your life teacher, but that day is not today. 
Today is the day that I am the student, while you teach me to be a dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment